Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #1

SUN #3872
mike71654 is an unknown quantity at this point
A couple of questions?

This year we decided to set our Sunny up on a seasonal site. Well, summer has finally come to Central Ohio and as usual the heat and humidity are extremely high. As you can guess, it gets really hot in the camper during the day when no one is there. When entering this afternoon the thermometer showed a blazing 104 degrees in the camper.

I noticed the fan that cools the electrical panel was running and continued to run for the entire time I was there...It was actually still running when I left. I have noticed this fan running on occasion in the past but generally for a few minutes and then shuts back off. Is this fan runing for extended periods of time normal in the heat of summer or something I should be concerned about?

I cracked the roof vents and a side window hoping to keep the temperature down a little but I am sure it will not be enough to keep this fan from running.

Another question my wife had was regarding canned goods...Does the extreme heat in an enclosed camper have any negative effect on the canned foods stored in the camper? I told her I did not think so...But I am the husband so I am never right

Anyone know? Will it hurt the canned foods to be in the camper during the summer?

One last question After the camper has sat in the heat I noticed the AC drips from the filter vents when it is running. It only does this for a little while and then quits. I have been careful not to let the watrer drops lay on the floor but I was wondering if this is normal? I suspect it is simply all the parts cooling off and water is condensing as this happens but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks everyone...this site is an absolute great place when us newbies have questions.

Mike & Rose
2000 Sunnybrook Fifth Wheel
2006 Ford F 350 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel
mike71654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #2

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Mike,
As far as the canned foods go, they should be okay as long as the cans aren't bulging, punctured, or rusted.

Rose,
Husbands are allowed to be right at least once a month.

Sorry I can't help you with the other questions.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike71654 View Post
I noticed the fan that cools the electrical panel was running and continued to run for the entire time I was there...It was actually still running when I left. I have noticed this fan running on occasion in the past but generally for a few minutes and then shuts back off. Is this fan runing for extended periods of time normal in the heat of summer or something I should be concerned about?
I can't imagine it's a good thing, but I'm not sure of the limits.

Quote:
I cracked the roof vents and a side window hoping to keep the temperature down a little but I am sure it will not be enough to keep this fan from running.
Good call. You might want to look into getting some MaxxAir covers so that you can leave your vents open all the time.

Quote:
One last question After the camper has sat in the heat I noticed the AC drips from the filter vents when it is running. It only does this for a little while and then quits. I have been careful not to let the watrer drops lay on the floor but I was wondering if this is normal? I suspect it is simply all the parts cooling off and water is condensing as this happens but I wanted to make sure.
I think I've seen this happen before, but it's rare. As long as it isn't streaming out, because that could do some damage in the ceiling. A little condensation forming around the vents shouldn't cause much harm though.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
I think I've seen this happen before, but it's rare. As long as it isn't streaming out, because that could do some damage in the ceiling. A little condensation forming around the vents shouldn't cause much harm though.
Well...maybe so, maybe no. There are two potential causes for this.

1. You simply have extremely humid air inside the trailer when you turn on the A/C. The moisture in the interior then condenses (i.e., 'falls out') of the surrounding air as the discharge air cools. Because the discharge air of course leaves the vents first before it circulates to the interior of the RV, and because the vents themselves are steel and cannot absorb moisture, the water in the air collects around their cooler surface and then drips off. This is probably what's going on, as you stated that this takes place after the trailer has sat for a while with no climate control engaged.

2. You are experiencing what's known as 'carry over.' This condition is an indication of a problem with the condensate (water) drain system. Carry over happens when the piping or tubing which allows condensate to flow away from the cooling coil becomes blocked, usually by mold, dirt, etc. The moisture then collects in the drip pan that is beneath the cooling coil to the point that it is easily blown into the cold air stream by the indoor fan. Carry over needs to be addressed right away. I'm not sure how the removal of condensate is accomplished in these RV A/C units, as I've not yet read through our Dometic manual (shame on me, I know). However, it doesn't sound like this is what's happening in your trailer, because if it were, you'd notice it all the time, not simply on startup. Carry over is frequently accompanied by a moldy smell, so if you're not noticing this, you're probably O.K.

Matthew
(Twelve years in HVAC service prior to change of career...)

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #5

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
There may be a small leak between AC unit and roof gasket.The gasket can become compressed and loosen after awhile. Make sure your condensate is running off.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #6

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there anyway you can leave your vents open - we have MaxxAir covers on or TH and leave the vents wide open all summer long. Do you go to the TT daily? Can you leave a fan running to circulate the air?

We leave canned good in the TH all the time and never had a problem - but as stated, buldged cans are not good!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #7

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
Well...maybe so, maybe no. There are two potential causes for this.

1. You simply have extremely humid air inside the trailer when you turn on the A/C. The moisture in the interior then condenses (i.e., 'falls out') of the surrounding air as the discharge air cools. Because the discharge air of course leaves the vents first before it circulates to the interior of the RV, and because the vents themselves are steel and cannot absorb moisture, the water in the air collects around their cooler surface and then drips off. This is probably what's going on, as you stated that this takes place after the trailer has sat for a while with no climate control engaged.

2. You are experiencing what's known as 'carry over.' This condition is an indication of a problem with the condensate (water) drain system. Carry over happens when the piping or tubing which allows condensate to flow away from the cooling coil becomes blocked, usually by mold, dirt, etc. The moisture then collects in the drip pan that is beneath the cooling coil to the point that it is easily blown into the cold air stream by the indoor fan. Carry over needs to be addressed right away. I'm not sure how the removal of condensate is accomplished in these RV A/C units, as I've not yet read through our Dometic manual (shame on me, I know). However, it doesn't sound like this is what's happening in your trailer, because if it were, you'd notice it all the time, not simply on startup. Carry over is frequently accompanied by a moldy smell, so if you're not noticing this, you're probably O.K.

Matthew
(Twelve years in HVAC service prior to change of career...)
Hmm, good information Matthew. Thanks for sharing!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #8

SUN #3872
mike71654 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for all the responses..It was nice letting my wife know I was right about the canned foods.

I did not want to risk and damage so I had a service guy come out and look at the electrical panel and AC unit. As suspected the AC was simply condensation from the extreme amount of humidity in the air. With the lines and even the plastic experiencing the sharp change in temperature and humidity when turned on it creates condensation. I opened the top vents in the camper and turned on a fan...Just those simple acitions stopped this from occuring when I turn on the AC now.

As for the electrical panel...Well everyting is ok...thankfully! As with the AC is was just so hot in there the cooling fan was running.
Again...the solution was to open the roof vents and turn on a fan. All is well now...The cooling fan comes on and shuts off as it should now.

Mike & Rose
2000 Sunnybrook Fifth Wheel
2006 Ford F 350 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel
mike71654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #9

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear all is well!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Glad to hear all is well!
x2! We have had some crazy humidity around here lately, so I guess I'm not too surprised.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #11

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The fan in the converter is temp sensitive so if it's really hot it is going to run. If there is any load on it (lights etc.) it will be even more likely for it to run. My house A/C collects water in high humidity on the vents where the cold air blows through the due point this morning was 76* just slightly lower then the outside temp! I have a Fantastic Fan vent that has a thermostat and a rain sensor the thermostat is a really great feature the rain sensor not so much but it does work just cycles too much in light rain the "fix" of course is a vent cover.