Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #1

SUN #9397
Shakeylee88 is an unknown quantity at this point
79 sunline 25 cb vin location

Hello I recently purchased this camper and I have to have it registered in my state. No title. Trying to find a vin number but no luck. The place on the tongue is gone. I read on here that it would possible be under the for sill but no luck there either. Please help my daughter want to go camping.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #2

SUN #9333
JohnByrum is an unknown quantity at this point
I know in some states the DMV will issue a tag that you can attach to the trailer. I bought a little trailer to tow behind my motorcycle from a guy in GA and he got one of the tags from the DMV there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
There may have been a typo in your note, did you lift up the entry door sill plate (the plate that covers the door frame at the floor level)? I do not know what year they started that practice but it is on many of the campers.

A question, did the camper have plates on it from any state when you bought it? If there was, then it was at least registered at one time with some motor vehicle office. While the plates may be expired, tracking down that lead old plate lead at that state office may help.

And worst case, have you tried your local state motor vehicle office on what to do with a lost VIN number? You can explain the age of the vehicle and it is a camper and the VIN rusted off. Odds are high the biggest thing they are after is stolen vehicles being re-registered but there may be a way out of this.

I ran into this in a boat situation with a donation to the Boy Scouts. The prior owner donated it, they moved out of state and then even passed away... That was a tough time trying to get that boat registered but there was a process to go through. At least in the state of Ohio anyway.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, that's a tough one. There were five places- stamped into the left side of the coupler, under the door sill, on the weight sticker on the left outside sidewall, and on the quality control sheet glued to the main closet wall, and in any paperwork received with the trailer originally. Most trailers only have under the door and the coupler stamping left. The coupler stamping is very shallow and hard to see with layers of paint, so unless you know the coupler piece has been cut off the tongue rails and a new one welded on, you may just need some sandpaper.

I've heard reports that the door sill tag on the older ones may be more under the door frame than the sill plate. It was literally just a piece of tin with numbers stamped in, stapled to the floor. If you see the edge of it sticking out from beneath the door frame when you have the sill off, that may be it, but you'd have to pull the door to see it.

The quality control sheet was always glued to the back of the largest closet. I'm guessing you don't have it since you should pretty easily see it. It was just a piece of paper, so it can fall apart with age and can be taken down when renovations are done.

The stickers on the exterior have pretty much all faded away now, they didn't weather well. you can probably see a shadow of where it was on the siding, if the trailer hasn't been repainted. It was maybe 4"x4" and about at eye height.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote