Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-13-2019, 06:11 AM   #1

SUN #9404
RWiseman is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 SunLine 24' T2363 Lite Heater issues

Could anyone else tell me how their heater does in the winter. This is my first time of needing mine in the winter. Last night it was in the 20s here and the heat never got above 57ish....brrrrr. I just couldn't get warm even with 4 blankets. Is that normal and do I just need to supplement heat with a space heater or is something wrong with my heater? I would appreciate all opinions.
2006 SunLine 24' T2363 Lite

Old 11-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

We have winter camped in 2 of our Sunlines over the years. Our 2004 T2499 and our current 2004 T310SR. We have camped down to about 10F at night being OK inside, but it was only after upgrading some areas in the camper. These campers are not really made for a lot of camping below freezing, but there are some upgrades you can do to make them work.

Does your furnace ever shut off in the weather you are in now? Has the furnace worked before and shut off sort of like to is supposed in the recent past, just say the temp at night only made it down to about 40F?

If your furnace is running and heat does come out of the ducts, odds are favorable it may be working the way it is supposed too. One of the issues with below freezing camping is not so much the furnace, but losing the heat we have. Your furnace can't keep up with the loss of heat.

The windows, and roof vent covers are 2 of the biggest losses. We would put foam cushions up in the vents and shower dome to stop the heat from going out and we use shrink wrap window film on the windows. That helps a lot.

We also bring an oil filled heater and or a ceramic portable heater. These are only 1,500 watt heaters. We only need one of them. We also run a separate 12 awg extension cord into the camper to run the heater. If you do not have a heavy gauge extension cord, you use wall outlet by the kitchen sink on your 2006 camper. Sunline calls it the galley outlet. There is not a lot of other things on that circuit, so it will not trip the circuit breaker as fast. BUT, shut the heater off if you microwave. And run the water heater on gas, not electric. Heaters in a camper draw an good amount of power, and you only have so much to start with.

One heads up when camping when it is cold out, heavy condensation will build up in the camper when all sealed up with people living inside. The condensation will create issues over time if not dealt with. We leave one ceiling vent open a good 1", farthest from the bed room to let the moisture out. Yes, I know heat goes out, but you have to vent it. And we also use a dehumidifier. The shrink wrap on the widows helps stop the heavy moisture from forming on the windows, but it still will condense on the window frame as it is metal all the way to the outside.

Here are some of the many posts on winter camping in a Sunny, and things to help with the heat loss.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...63-a-8830.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ping-8760.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ing-13116.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ing-18328.html

The window covering and moisture control is talked about in those threads also.

Hope this helps

John

Here are

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Guess size makes a big difference my little camper will easily get to 80! When it's around freezing my home made electric heater (1100 watts repurposed bathroom fan heater) is all I need.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

SUN #9404
RWiseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi,

We have winter camped in 2 of our Sunlines over the years. Our 2004 T2499 and our current 2004 T310SR. We have camped down to about 10F at night being OK inside, but it was only after upgrading some areas in the camper. These campers are not really made for a lot of camping below freezing, but there are some upgrades you can do to make them work.

Does your furnace ever shut off in the weather you are in now? Has the furnace worked before and shut off sort of like to is supposed in the recent past, just say the temp at night only made it down to about 40F?

If your furnace is running and heat does come out of the ducts, odds are favorable it may be working the way it is supposed too. One of the issues with below freezing camping is not so much the furnace, but losing the heat we have. Your furnace can't keep up with the loss of heat.

The windows, and roof vent covers are 2 of the biggest losses. We would put foam cushions up in the vents and shower dome to stop the heat from going out and we use shrink wrap window film on the windows. That helps a lot.

We also bring an oil filled heater and or a ceramic portable heater. These are only 1,500 watt heaters. We only need one of them. We also run a separate 12 awg extension cord into the camper to run the heater. If you do not have a heavy gauge extension cord, you use wall outlet by the kitchen sink on your 2006 camper. Sunline calls it the galley outlet. There is not a lot of other things on that circuit, so it will not trip the circuit breaker as fast. BUT, shut the heater off if you microwave. And run the water heater on gas, not electric. Heaters in a camper draw an good amount of power, and you only have so much to start with.

One heads up when camping when it is cold out, heavy condensation will build up in the camper when all sealed up with people living inside. The condensation will create issues over time if not dealt with. We leave one ceiling vent open a good 1", farthest from the bed room to let the moisture out. Yes, I know heat goes out, but you have to vent it. And we also use a dehumidifier. The shrink wrap on the widows helps stop the heavy moisture from forming on the windows, but it still will condense on the window frame as it is metal all the way to the outside.

Here are some of the many posts on winter camping in a Sunny, and things to help with the heat loss.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...63-a-8830.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ping-8760.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ing-13116.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ing-18328.html

The window covering and moisture control is talked about in those threads also.

Hope this helps

John

Here are

Thank you John, I will try these. Yea it worked great until it all of a sudden dropped into the 20s....I thought I was going to die last night. I got a space heater tonight and it feels a lot better in here. I'll take all you said to heart and try and find a good balance. Thanks again for the info.
Ronnie
Old 11-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

SUN #733
tervio
Heater

We used to own a 2363 sunline and noticed the heating issue. We found the most heat was being blown into the bathroom. We just covered the vent with tape but there is vents with dampers which may help.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #6

SUN #11010
phantom444e is an unknown quantity at this point
My little guys doesn't need much to heat because of it's small size, but I woke up once because I realized that the heater had been running for a long time. I looked at my indoor outdoor thermometer and it was 17 degrees outside and 70 something inside.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
We often camp in our 2363 until mid-December after which the state parks close for the winter. This is what we’ve done to keep warm:

— Put Reflectix on the bedroom windows between the windows and miniblinds. We also have blackout curtains, more for sleeping dark than insulation, but it helps a little;
— Use vent insulators like these: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat...s%2C671&sr=8-2 ;
— Made draft blockers from green insulation board for the cellar doors;
— Have a quilt doubled over and touching the floor on the sofa;
— As a bonus, when it’s colder, the wife often bakes something in the evening which keeps it warm inside.

When we have electric, we use our ceramic disc heater - why use our propane when we’ve paid for the electric? Turn on the furnace, usually set around 60, when we go to bed. Of course, we have a good comforter and a sleeping bag stored away, just in case.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, issue