Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Community Admin, News & Specials Events > Sunline Owners Club FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #1

SUN #8788
jrhicks84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help with a few things!!!

Hi,
My sister and her boyfriend are actually the ones who own the Sunline travel trailer. I am just at my Wit's End trying to figure out the model of the RV. All that I know for sure is the year (199 the make(Sunline) and I guess on the length (30ish feet). They are moving back home to Northern Florida, from the Fort Myers area and we are looking for an inexpensive way, to tow it from Fort Myers, Florida to Northern Florida, close to Jacksonville, Florida. I guess my question really is how do I figure out what model travel trailer that they have(i.e. weight, height, length, etc) and does anyone know of a reasonable, economical and safe way to tow the trailer here? Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and if it has broken any of your site's rules I truly apologize.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
3/4 ton truck.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhicks84 View Post
Hi,
My sister and her boyfriend are actually the ones who own the Sunline travel trailer. I am just at my Wit's End trying to figure out the model of the RV. All that I know for sure is the year (199 the make(Sunline) and I guess on the length (30ish feet). They are moving back home to Northern Florida, from the Fort Myers area and we are looking for an inexpensive way, to tow it from Fort Myers, Florida to Northern Florida, close to Jacksonville, Florida. I guess my question really is how do I figure out what model travel trailer that they have(i.e. weight, height, length, etc) and does anyone know of a reasonable, economical and safe way to tow the trailer here? Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and if it has broken any of your site's rules I truly apologize.
In the files area, there are brochures for every model year of Sunlines. Download the '99 brochure and compare it with the trailer. There's is a floor plan drawing for each model and specs, too.

Based on your rough description of the size of the trailer, it will definitely need to be towed by a vehicle that is properly set up, i.e. all wiring and controls for trailering including an electric trailer brake controller and the correct weight range receiver hitch. Like Tim, I suggest a 3/4 ton pickup would be best, although a very well equipped 1/2 ton can probably do the job as long as it can handle the pulling weight and the tongue weight.

A trailer that size needs a weight distributing hitch system. If the new owner is planning to tow it regularly, they'll need to invest in one sooner or later. That is unless one came with the trailer.

Check with the rental companies. They may have something available that will do the job.

Also, check the yellow pages or online search. There are companies and individuals who move RV's around the country all the time. That's how new travel trailers get from the factorys to the dealerships.

Lastly, check with a local RV dealer. They may be willing to either rent you a tow vehicle or move it for you. Many do around here. Or they might be able to steer you to a contractor who brings in their new units for them.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #4

SUN #3038
johnmanna is an unknown quantity at this point
If you do not have a truck you can call a tow truck and they will move it. I have seen it done before but have no idear the cost