Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-05-2017, 06:27 AM   #1

SUN #9235
Coutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Roof

I have a 2003 Sunline 2364 trailer. When I was on the roof this spring to check for any issues I notices there were ribs or truss that I tried to keep my knees on. What is a good way to be on the roof with out making any stress or damage to the roof? I heard about using a piece of plywood. Would appreciate any though's or best way to be on the roof. Washing, sealing and checking for any problem. Thanks, Coutch

Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Coutch,

See this thread for pics and instructions on how to service items on the roof.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...1-a-11508.html

That post shows/talks about roof caulk and inspection but it also talks about how to get up on the roof and work on items without damaging the roof. As you have noticed, there is no support that can hold your weight between the rafters. You can possibly go right through it by accident as the standard Sunline roof is not made for direct walk on support unless you take the plywood and tarp protection method.

If you need more on this, just ask away.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #3

SUN #9235
Thanks John, What size plywood? 2 X 4 or 3 X 4 and 3/8 or 1/2. I feel better that I didn't have a problem when on the roof. After washing the roof does it need to be sealed each time, and what type sealant to use?? Thanks, Coutch
Old 06-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #4

SUN #89
Hi Coutch,

I use 2 ft x 4 ft x 1/2" sheets of plywood. Large enough to spread the load out over the 16" center rafters and small enough to be able to lift up there.

You can use 3/8 thick, 1/2" 5/8 or 3/4 but 3/4 may be a bit to lift. If your sheets are larger, that is OK too. The 4 foot long seems to be the right size to span enough rafters to help spread the load. 3 foot long would about miss a 3rd rafter but just make it.

After washing the roof, yes look at all caulking for sure. That is the time to touch up any tiny hair line splits or cracks in the caulking. You use the Dicor caulk that I showed in the link above in the last reply.

And after the caulk has dried then apply a UV treatment to the rubber, the caulk and all the plastic on the roof which is a lot. I also put this on the plastic and decals on the camper sides. I use 303 Aerospace protectant. This stuff https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ace-protectant This treatment over a long time makes a significant difference in helping keep the sun from cooking the life out of anything rubber or plastic.

I spray it on, then use a soft rag mop head on a pole and reach from the edge to spread it all over. This is supposed to be a car wax applicator but I bought it to use on the roof and reach in.

Ideally you wash the roof, check the caulking and apply the UV protector 4 times a year. Yes I know that sounds like a lot. It will allow the camper have a longer life if you do. Bare minimum would be 2 times a year and that may be pushing it.

1. The fall going into winter storage outside is critical as you do not want any splits in the sealants going into winter.

2. Just coming out of winter in the spring is also critical to catch any splits in the sealants just started coming out of winter.

3 & 4. Then spread across the camping season in the warmer weather months.

If you have a barn to keep the camper in all the time, this greatly helps and you can reduce some of the washing's. But not all of us have a barn to do this. My camper lived outside for 10 years before the barn came big enough to put the camper in. That was a long wait... but worth it when it came. Some use covers over the camper in the winter when the camper is outside, and these do help. They are a bit to put on and take off but they really help keep the elements from attacking the camper.

As FYI here are the Dicor instructions (the mfg who makes the rubber roof) on maintaining your roof.
https://dicorproducts.com/product/di...oofing-2/#care

And here are some videos they have on roof care.
https://dicorproducts.com/video-library/#close

Hope this helps

John

Old 06-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #5

SUN #9235
John thanks for the information. I have several 2 x 2 X 1/4 rubber mats that hook together that I think would be good to use between the roof and plywood. I'll feel better about going on the roof if I have to. I worked from ladders last fall when the wife and I put the cover on. Rolled the cover inside out so I could unroll it from front to back down the center and then pull it over the sides. With our winter weather I'm glad I purchased the cover. Coutch
Old 06-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #6

SUN #89
Hi Coutch,

Your Welcome! Glad to help as we can.

Yes, those rubber mats will work well. And yes, covering the camper over the winter is a good thing for sure. Anything to help keep it out of the weather for sure helps.

Thanks

John